Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's Appropriate in the Work Place

So I got this email from a co-worker not too long ago:
Any time you call an 800 number
Now that I know it is the LAW - I will do it for sure .
Any time you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter communications, health and other insurance, computer help desk, etc . ) and you find that you're talking to a foreign customer service representative (perhaps in India, Philippines, etc.), please consider doing the following:
After you connect and you realize that the customer service representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure about the accent), please, very politely (this is not about trashing other cultures) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the United States of America."
The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say, "Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the USA."
YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED TO A REP IN THE USA. That's the rule and the LAW
It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA.
Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure - and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale.
Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to only US phone reps from this day on.
Imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would need to be CREATED - ASAP.
If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in viral marketing 101.
Remember - the goal here is to restore jobs back here at home - not to be abrupt or rude to a foreign phone rep. You may even get correct answers, good advice, and solutions to your problem - in real English.
If you agree, please tell 10 people you know, and ask them to tell 10 people they know....etc...etc .

Now anyone who knows me knows that immigration is a VERY touchy subject for me. I feel that a lot of Americans and from personal experience Black Americans have problems with immigrants, be they legal or illegal. Now on most days listening to me speak one cannot tell that I have an accent or that I am Jamaican. The more comfortable I get with someone or the more agitated or angry I get it will come out. On a breezy spring day in 2011, Senorita CabezaGalleta (I think that's biscuit head in Spanish) must have missed the memo that I am Jamaican, and she went on a 14 minute and 23 second rant about how much she disliked foreigners (yeah that's another term I don't want people to EVER use to describe me) and how all people who are not born Americans use this country to fill their coffers then flee to their homelands that are overflowing with milk and honey and hot bitches or well toned Rastafarians who fan us as we lounge around on rattan chairs in bathing suits, eating seedless mangoes, drinking distilled coconut water and getting our crotch hairs threaded. Now I don't know where this broad got this idea, and I on that particular day, I didn't take my anti-ignorance tonic so I kind of went off on her. But I say all this to ask the question. Am I being sensitive for have a visceral reaction to this email?
This to me, is like three and a quarter levels past inappropriate for the workplace. It lacks any form of cultural competency and speaks to what kind of person you are. Had I not read my bible this morning, the results may have been different. But because Jesus is my co-pilot today, I forwarded the email to some of my level headed friends in order to ascertain the appropriate response for this stupid broad that is in so much mental debt she sells spinal fluid to pay it back.
My ace boon coon (is this even a good word??) in skulduggery OldGoldSoul promptly replied with this gem:
Reply to her and say "I'm sorry, but this information is actually false." Then send her this link to Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/servicerep.asp

THEN, shoot her in the foot and say "ROCK A BYE, BABY!"
And I did do it (minus the foot shot and singing) because come on I had to come back with some kind of ignant ass response. After I sent the email response, I could feel Old BiscuitHead staring daggers at me. I think one of my ovaries shrunk a little. I tried to fight back laughter, which is hard for me because of the cursed dimples, and I sat at my desk stoically pretending to work. I know she was and probably still is trying to find a comeback, but her mental capacity can fit inside a mustard seed, and while faith of that size is a good thing, wisdom is not. So I shall anticipate her coming for me at some point in the next two weeks, but seriously broads like her are like an amuse bouche to bitches like me. So *shrug* get at me bitch.
Nothing shuts up ignorance like the truth.
In closing, I am a firm believer of staying true to yourself. If your a hoe, a bigot, a cutter, a crackhead, a sexual deviant,whatever, be you. Just learn how to turn your ignorance off at work or deal with me shutting your shit down.
Have a good day lovelies!!
Smooches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me